Missed Connections

Dad's emphasis on being on time for trains has not been ingrained in my head yet. My inability to make it on time to modicums of commutation is a omnipresent joke among my family and friends and it just keeps getting better with the passage of time. Though I can proudly say 2009 has been awfully sober except for the one time I threw myself in front of the Peter pan bus to Stamford in March ensuring that I am on it. The train rides and the flights have been less dramatic. I should not be speaking too soon, lest California 2k8 part two happens.

Circa Christmas 2k8, family and a bunch of friends were in Southern California living it up in the heat while I was literally white amidst white. It took a week of phone calls, emails, cajoling, threats and then eventually I was not given a choice to make it to the west coast for a week of sunshine and fun. Indecision had another laugh while I contemplated traveling on either the 23rd or the 24th, deciding on the former. My flight was at 7 in the morning and I spent most of the previous evening and night doing the most inane things and did manage to complete some packing in the meantime. I finished most of what I was doing by 3 and in anticipation of sleeping on the flight, I hit the couch for what I called a little nap for an hour before heading out to the airport at 4.

I wake up to bright light on my face thinking that I have been magically transported to the northern Canadian border. I looked at my phone to see it flash 7: 10 AM in my face!!! I pinched myself to make sure that I screwed up and woke up G who in characteristic slumber tone said the most meaningful words I ever heard that month, "Why Am I Not Surprised". I called M, who was in deep sleep ( it was 4 AM PST) only to hear her mumble something incomprehensible. I did get a rundown when she was fully awake. Eventually, in true holiday spirit, the sweet lady at the United Airlines counter did reassign my ticket for the 24th morning. Atonement for my sins included being the butt of jokes at a lot of gatherings during that trip. Thankfully, a focused host and 2 alarm clocks made sure I was on time for the return trip back to Boston.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best written posts. Such is my view.