We Dont Choose Ideas, Ideas Choose Us...

"We can’t grab a thought. A thought grabs us. You have to be receptive, ready to receive thoughts. What is a state of readiness? For me, I think it’s being immersed in a film. When I’m actually writing, it comes very quickly. Before that, it’s a terrible process. For example, there are two kinds of mangoes. The kind you pluck and then you wait till it ripens. And the kind that is ripe and falls on you — a tapke (just landed). They are the sweetest kind because nature is ready to offer it to you, while the others are premature. Songs are like that. Some just fall out of your imagination"


Prasoon Joshi is one of the best lyricists we have now. A management graduate, his stints at Oglivy-Mathers and then Mckann-Ericcson, where he is currently Executive Chairman produced some of the most memorable campaigns in ad history including the Thanda Matlab Coca-Cola with Aamir Khan, Pulse Polio, HIV awareness, Female infanticide and Child abuse and in the recent past for the United Nations. His foray into lyric writing has given us memorable works in Rang De Basanti and more recently Taare Zameen Par.

Exerpts from an interview with Tehelka.com here







4 comments:

Mundanely (a)mused said...

Ah well- how true is that eh?

I mean- songs, poetry or just plain prose- these things must just land on you.

And long time- how art thou?

Unknown said...

A year older..a wee bit wiser..and extremely enthusiastic of late..I've been good..:)

and hoping things are even better on ure side.

Mundanely (a)mused said...

haha, excellent to know.

Here things are going okay. This teaching profession has its share of trials and tribulations.

So are you back into studying just as yet? I am itching to be back to the other side of the fence. I'm done lambasting these kids. hehe!

Unknown said...

I wish I did but Ihad to postpone my appns for a little while.I look at it as another chance to re assess my perspectives and goals,so its not too bad..:)

but yeah, the feeling is mutual..:)