Cinema Overdoso?

I have subjected myself to a lot of movies this year. The convenience of having a theater 10 minutes from home furthered the cause. I normally dont review the movies I watch, the music I hear or the books I read as there are a lot of people who are doing that, and performing a great job as well. However, the thought of compiling a list of some of the better movies I have seen over the last few months has always been hovering around, partly due to the reason that I know many who have been missing out on quite a few of them. I just hope that a few words could make them a little aware.


Here’s my best of the bunch.



1) Ratatouille

Pixar have always had my respect among animation studios for quite sometime. Their channel of story telling, which appeals to both kids and the kids in adults respecitvely, incorporate a time tested approach. What makes them stand out are the novel charecterizations and a small sense of genuinity which makes viewers relate to them. Add to that, as-real-as-it-gets animations, brilliant wit and a great voice cast makes them movies lipsmacking, which is exactly the word to describe this tale of an ambitious rodent who takes Paris’s culinary world by storm.

2) Ocean’s Thirteen

I thought Ocean’s 11 was a blast, the sequel was Ho-Hum. The boys finally wrapped it up with a worthy third outing. Great acting, a breezy narrative proved the major plusses. My favorite moment? Clooney and Pitt getting teary eyed over Oprah.

3) Cheeni Kum

Sarcasm found two hours of screen time, and we had a blast. Watch it for Amitabh and Tabu’s performances and some good music.

4) 1408

One of the scariest movies I have seen. More than whats going on the screen, the anticipation of whats going to happen creeps you further.

5) Live Free or Die Hard

Yippee-Ki-Yay! Need I say more. Bruce Willis, balder, bitter and brittle kicks terrorist butt fourth time around.

6) Spiderman 3

Wasnt comparable to its predecessors but did salvage some pride on its own.


4 comments:

Ninad Gujar said...

you missed out Harry Potter & Transformers !!... besides telling me your fav. movie of the year ?

Sudhir Pai said...

hey!
how you been ?
long time!
really loved the title..
:)
missed out on most of these...damn!
hey thought you should add shrek 3 and life in a metro on this list.loved them both.still to watch Ratatouille, i'll take your word on that.
cheers!

Unknown said...

@ Ninad..
Transformers, like Gayatri hasd aptly christened, is the ultimate dude chick flick..:)
the special effects were outstanding, scoring over a weak storyline. but hell who cares..:)
however it isnt up there yet
as for Harry Potter, I wasnt able to appreciate it completely due to the reason that I am a little behind in reading the books..:)

My fave movie of the year? hmm..I would say Life in a Metro so far, closely followed by ratatouille..:)

Unknown said...

@pai..
am doing good man..How are things with u?
the titles my tribute to tht wonderful piece of italian cinema..I recently saw it and loved it to bits.
I should have added life in a metro to this list, it skipped my mind. Shrek 3 I wouldnt..It wasnt what I was expecting, and honestly some of the wisecracks were so pedestrian that it was a pale shadow of the brilliant first part.
I would recommend a guide to recognising ur saints amd Paris jet'aime as well.